Monday, March 6, 2017

Wintery Races, Leaving for Kenya, and the big London plan

March 5, 2017

I must say I can hardly believe this day has come already. Back in early January I turned 40 and booked my first ever trip for altitude training. We had two local races on the schedule: the Re-Fridgee-Eighter (8 mile) in Waterloo on February 12 and the Chilly Half Marathon in Burlington on March 5. Then it would be time to make the big 4 week trip to Kenya. In the 8 weeks since then I've logged 1320 km, filled the 2 fridges and freezers with numerous items, completed 3 sets of various school forms, written 1 chore and 1 lunch-bag packing note, recorded 31 bedtime stories on the iPod, packed my 1 suitcase and 1 bag, and countless times crossed off items on my to-do lists. I wanted to get as much done as possible before this weekend that would include volunteering at the provincial swim meet, my daughter's 6th birthday, the race, and the kids' usual hockey and swimming activities. For more on how I emotionally prepared for this trip, particularly for my daughter, check out page 27 of the most recent iRun magazine .
Training has been very going well. My body is responding well to higher mileage and my long runs and workouts are strong, steady and consistent. I've only had a few very minor niggles that have been easily managed with great care from Brenda, Paul and David. I've enjoyed the change in my diet, particularly in how I consume (or don't consume) my carbohydrates in long runs, low-glycogen runs, and fasted runs. My energy is great, I'm enjoying two days of double runs that usually allows for one weekly rest day, and I'm feeling refreshed with the slight adjustments to my cross-training, strength and preventative maintenance routines.
The results of my two wintery races certainly aren't outstanding. But I know that weeks of uneventful grit and grind get me results, and the race that matters the most to me in any season is my goal marathon race. We're still investing and I fully believe I will reap the rewards on April 23 in London, England. I'm strong and healthy and know there is much more work to do, and the time to do it.
And onward I go, continuing to step out of comfort zone and familiarity. #ThisIs40
   


Rolling with the Speed River women in Guelph. 



Yes, this was actually the finish of the Re-Fridgee-Eighter! Photo Credit: Shannon White. 

Running solo in the Chilly Half Marathon. Photo Credit: Micheal Lin.



Speed River's 2017 Chilly Half Winners. Great job, Tristan. So nice to have Coach Dave at the race.


Decorated some Frozen cupcakes for the birthday girl.
Happy 6th birthday! Made it home from the race, just in time.  

Kids helping with the batch baking. 


Batch cooking: buckwheat, beans & beef, homemade sauerkraut, and roasted brussels sprouts, kale and garlic cloves.

Hockey game. Swim meet. Hockey game. Three kids, all in one day.

One of my favourite things in the world: oatmeal by the cozy fireplace after a long wintery run with friends in cool temperatures and sunny skies.